About Me

My photo
Hey everyone! I am currently attending Luther College where I am majoring in Elementary Education. I hope to someday teach English as a Second Language in Costa Rica and hopefully other places as well.

Wednesday, October 8, 2008

IQ: How do we really know?

Today, I was enlightened by class. I had never explored the idea of IQ and how it relates to intelligence until we were required to read the text. When we took the test today in class, I was surprised to see the variety of questions that it included. I must confess that I did guess on a few, especially the pattern ones. Ever since I can remember, I have never been good at picking those out on other tests. What I found most interesting about today's class was the categories that Jim aligned with our certain scores. He presented with ACT scores and GPA that often correspond to certain IQ's and I was surprised at the variety of scores we discussed. For example, my IQ score landed in the range that also corresponded to my exact ACT score and GPA. That made me feel pretty good about myself. I also thought it was interesting when we started talking about the presidential election and what is more important between IQ and EQ. To answer this question, I would say that the best thing is a good balance because a president must have both in order to respond to different international situations. I also feel like the idea of EQ is not addressed enough in our society and that we are a nation that revolves too much around a person's IQ and neglects one's feelings.

1 comment:

joyfuleducator said...

Beth-

That was an interesting class the other day. I think that while it is important to talk about IQ there tends to be many steriotypes that come with that. I have never taken a test before and I personally agree with a good mix of EQ and IQ.

Lara