About Me

My photo
Hey everyone! I am currently attending Luther College where I am majoring in Elementary Education. I hope to someday teach English as a Second Language in Costa Rica and hopefully other places as well.

Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Taking the Step for Change


In class on Friday, Jim distributed an article asking us all to take a look at it sometime in the future. Like myself, there are many people who just pretend they have read certain articles because they believe they wont find the material in them relevant. I thought about doing this same thing until I read the byline under the title. It said "By firing bad teachers and paying good one six-figure salaries, Michelle Rhee just might save D.C.'s schools" and from that moment I knew I had to read the article.
Overall, I found the article to be extremely interesting. Not only do I admire Rhee for taking the intiative to creat change but I am also impressed by how she is able to overcome adversity. One of the most interesting parts of the article focused on the support she has for her changes and where that support is coming from. She has the support of the mayor and many schools but parents and council members are worried about some of the radical changes she is making. She is alreaday made huge leaps by ridding D.C. schools of ineffective principles and now she is working to change the process of tenure. What suprised me the most about the proposal is that I could actually see myself taking the 1st proposed idea. Throughout my experience with the education system, I alwasy thought that tenure was one of the best things about becoming a teacher. Now I see that it could be one of the major areas where we are being held back.

Link to Newsweek article:
http://www.newsweek.com/id/154901


No comments: