About Me

My photo
Hey everyone! I am currently attending Luther College where I am majoring in Elementary Education. I hope to someday teach English as a Second Language in Costa Rica and hopefully other places as well.

Thursday, November 20, 2008

Chalk..the truth?


When Jim told us that we would be watching a film that had the same kind of humor as "The Office" in class on Monday night, I knew I was going to like the movie right from the beginning. Well, "Chalk" definitely did not disapoint as we were introduced to a variety of new teachers as they go about their life as the teachers. What I didnt realize was the truth that can be found is some of their actions when they are supposed to be portraying relatively bad teachers. However, I found myself noticing some similarities between these actors and the teachers I had growing up. I especially found myself noticing the similarities between my 8th grade geography teacher and the teacher trying to win Teacher of the Year. I was amazed because I never realized the things he had been doing wrong then and began thinking about the ways he went against the things Woolfolk suggests. What is most scary is that I remember a lot of the things I learned from his class. I also noticed that each of the teachers in the movie did something that was not entirely wrong. Overall, I believe that this movie could characterize a lot of things that happen to beginning teachers in schools today. Most of the teachers faced some type of problem with classroom management which is critical in schools today. These teachers also seemed not ready to be in the classroom, a quality I hope I do not have when I have my first day.

1 comment:

EmilyKilgore said...

I had a similar reaction to "Chalk." A lot of the teachers in the movie reminded me of my high school teachers. It's pretty sad to make the comparison but great to acknowledge the difference between good and bad teaching.